Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:35:10 -0400
Hi all,
Have reviewed the archives and gained much knowledge from the info
there.  I do, however, still have a few questions.

Spoke to a mom who is nursing a 9 m/o.  I haven't spoke to her in
several months, but I do remember her and some assorted problems
 she had with latch, sleepy baby, not so good MD advise, etc.

She has had masitis 5x since nursing this 9 m/o and really feels she is
at the end.  She wanted to know if she should use this opportunity to
wean baby.  I really feel mom has some positioning issues even yet.  I
remember enouraging her to come in for help, but she was reluctant to do
so.  I think she may be a chronic overproducer, which allows her baby to
gain sufficiently, but at the slightest decrease in nursing, she
develops masitis.

My advise to her was to nurse throught the mastitis (she is on
antibiotics) and use cabbage leaves to decrease supply at the same time.
I mentioned cabbage leaves about 4 or 5 times a day.  She mentioned sage
tea, however I am not familiar with amounts to drink.  I think if she
could get supply down a little, lessening chances of masitis, she would
continue to nurse this baby, who really enjoys solids at this time.

Anyother ideas?
TIA,
Judy H. IBCLC  Upstate NY