Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:16:55 EST
Lactnetters,

Just finished reading a trashy novel -- who, me?? she says, grinning ear to
ear....  Actually, it was a mystery novel called "The Drowning Pool."  Can't
remember the author (new one to me), but the protagonist is Willow King
(apparently been featured in several other mysteries).  Set in England, author
obviously English.  (Torrey leaves for England today, but that's another
story...).  Anyway, in this one, Willow has a baby, (her OB is murdered;
drowned in the birthing pool...go figure).  What was really fun was that
breastfeeding is woven quite naturally throughout the entire book, including
the one time the housekeeper gives the baby some formula, she ends up crying
and crying (the baby, not the housekeeper), because she can't "stomach" it.
The subplot relates to Willow's feelings about herself as mother vs
independent person.  Really a good read for those needing a bit of trash in
their lives.

(BTW, to me, a "trashy" novel is anything this side of Charles Dickens or Jane
Austen).

Jan Barger -- in Wheaton where winter is going to come this weekend.
Shudder....