From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:21:59 EST
Carrie writes;
>>has there been any research in regards to acceptable weight loss in
babies born after the extensive use of IV fluids?
 baby weighed 7 lb. 10 oz. at birth.  Upon discharge (2 days pp) baby
weighed 7 lb. 3 oz..  Was exclusively bf'ing.  At one-week check-up in ped's
office baby weighed 7 lbs. (on a different scale) and the ped proceeded to
pop a bottle in that baby's mouth saying baby was starving and needed to be
supplemented.
My question is, at one week pp, is that
an unacceptable weight?  <<

someone else then writes;
>>I would support supplementation of this baby, altho my preference would be
to immediately shore up and protect the milk supply, and to use human milk
(which clearly the baby isn't accessing).<<

I can't help but wonder why the jump to supplementing with the scarcity of
info. given above. Many different scenarios could have led up to the
situation presented, but the immediate, most important factor in the whether
or not to supplement question is; what is the breastfeeding like now?
Assuming that the pedi or office staff did not evaluate the brfeeding
effectiveness (ie. latch, milk transfer, frequency, supply, to name a few)
than there is no reason to assume that this baby might not feed as well at
the breast (or better!), with assistance, then it did from the bottle. If an
immediate brfdng eval couldn't have been done, than supplementation may have
been necessary but every scenario is unique.
As far as the amount of wt. loss and whether this is acceptable, again, this
needs to be determined individually based on the PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT. For all
we know, this baby could have lost even more wt. and been on the rebound,
feeding great at the time of the visit!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts