From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:25:25 EST
All right all wise ones my coworker has a case that is baffling everyone.
Mom is around 7 weeks PP. Through most of the time PP has been complaining of
deep br pain in one br. She states it is sharp at times but mostly dull and
achy, noted at end of fdg and some between. She has been on 2 courses of
Diflucan (2 weeks each) with no relief. She had no hx of high risk for yeast.
Baby has been gaining well.
Last week mom noted baby spitting up blood and brought infant to hospt. They
did many tests on the baby and could find no source of the blood. Mom denied
blood from breast.
Mom had been doing some pumping on the effected side and had the suction all
the way up so "she would not lose her supply". The grandmother did say this
week she noted blood in the milk, but threw it out so not sure how much.  Baby
spit up bl again and was to return to hospt for possible surg. My coworker got
the call and when she heard about the pumped milk put a stop to the admission.
Now I know there was a recent case on Lactnet about bl in the milk but I did
not hear if they found out what caused it and did it resolve?
Our theory is this mom has done some trauma to her breast, either from the
pump or injury. We are going to have her stop the pumping, encourage her to
brfd from that side, take ibuprofen for the pain, and use heat or cold for
comfort. Watch the next 5 days if there is any relief and hopefully someone
out there can give use some guidance.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Ma