From:
Chad & Kate McM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:58:25 -0700
LACTNET Digest - 29 Apr 2001 - Special issue (#2001-178)Got a chance to read the Sunday paper today.  I actually read it almost cover to cover.  I came across a Parenting Q&A by John Rosemond.  I haven't come across him before.  Basically a single mom is asking about how to get her child to sleep on her own.  She is a single mom with a 4 year old who comes into bed with her in the middle of the night and requires her mom to lay down with her while she falls asleep.  John Rosemond first indicated that this child was a "4-year-old basket case, a bedtime neurotic" and that ""expert" out there made their reputation on recommending this emotionally crippling practice!" (Family sleeping that is.)  He then goes on to suggest that the mother tell her daughter that she talked with the doctor and the doctor said that she (the daughter) has to sleep by herself and the doctor is the boss.  Even if that isn't bad enough John Rosemond continues that the mother should also tell her daughter that the doctor said that the mother had to lock the mother's bedroom door and couldn't open it until the next morning.  John Rosemond ends by saying, "Keep this in mind:When this is over, and it soon will be, you'll see a much happier little girl waking up in the morning."
If you would like to read the entire article you can read it at http://www.contracostatimes.com/health/columnists/rosemond/stories/x18rose_20010418.htm
It makes me sad to read advice like this and to tell the truth spitting mad.  To make a mom feel like her child has a MAJOR problem ....AAAAAaRGH!  Would hate to even guess what he would recommend for the mother who wants to wean.
Thoroughly annoyed Kate McMurry