From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:04:10 +1000
Hi Lactnetters

I have been silent on Lactnet because of pressure of work (writing) and the
interruptions of the hospital routine.  It has been 3 ½ months in various
hospitals.  Now that I have been home nearly a week, I wanted to say how
greatly I appreciated the messages from individual Lactnetters, especially
early in my recovery.  Two beautiful cards came today, after being forwarded
between various addresses round the world since December.  I shall reply
individually to these by letter.

What have I learnt while laid up?  I’ve learnt that there are a lot of
people out there a lot worse off than I was; that femurs take time to heal
and won’t be hurried up; that I could still do breastfeeding-related things
when completely bed-bound, thanks to my laptop; that friends and colleagues
in the lactation-support community are so very, very kind.  I was reminded
that the resilience I found I had during a long recovery six years ago was
still with me – it hadn’t packed up and left.  I didn’t welcome this
traumatic setback, but I’ve come through it.

Currently, till healing is complete, I am mobile on one Canadian crutch,
which I find easier to manage than two.

Now a small request.  My research this year (self-funded on a shoestring, no
funding from industry) is on informal milk banking in Australia in the
1970s-‘80s.  I would like to hear from any Lactnetters from Australia - New
South Wales and Victoria in particular - who can put me in touch with people
who have reliable information about local mother-support groups storing EBM
on request from hospitals during that period when many hospitals were no
longer collecting EBM from postnatal mothers.  I began this last year.

Best wishes

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]