From:
W4 fundumb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 01:27:31 EST
I work with premies in the hospital when they are quite tiny and just
beginning to feed. I find that the mothers often initially have a delayed milk
ejection reflex(they are used to a pump), but if you give the baby enough
time, and postition carefully, the mothers flow is quite often sufficient for
the baby, and the sns or dripped milk may interfere with the learning process.
The baby stops and starts, but eventually realizes what is there, and begins
to take milk in on its own(they have a sort of surprised look on their faces).
Awakening or hurrying the baby at these times can also interfere with the
process.
When allowed to start breastfeeds when they show readiness to begin oral
feedings, they are amazing, and begin to learn on the breast alone, without
any thing besides a breast.
I have taken some of my own videos that I share with staff to illustrate some
of the techniques that help, because I too have found few videos that have
what I want.
Fritzi Drosten