From:
Cassidy Hotz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:08:11 -0700
Hopefully someone wiser than I will have more info, but I found this
http://www.sids-network.org/experts/pronepos.htm
"In published studies, the
vast majority of babies examined were born at term and had no known medical problems. Babies with certain disorders have been
shown to have fewer problems when lying prone. These babies include:
--premature infants while they are experiencing respiratory
disease (arterial oxygenation is somewhat higher in the prone position).
--infants with symptomatic gastro-esophageal reflux (reflux
is usually less in the prone position).
--babies with certain upper airway malformations such as
Robin syndrome (there are fewer episodes of airway obstruction in the prone position)."

My kids have all had reflux to some degree and I have noticed that the worse the reflux, the more they seemed to need to sleep prone.

Has the family considered raising the head of whatever bed(s) the baby is sleeping in? In my own kids and in those I've worked with, simply raising the head of the bed a couple of inches seemed to help the baby sleep more comfortably in all positions, especially supine.

Best regards,
Cassidy
LLL in Fayetteville, AR, USA; anxiously awaiting CLC results and preparing for the IBCLC exam (Ack!)

________________________________

Subject: Reflux and sleep positions

Hi wise ones,

Permission to post.  3 week old baby with reflux.

If a baby will only sleep on the parents chest or possibly on its side what can we say about safety?  This baby wakes very quickly if turned on to his back.  I think he spues then too.  If lying prone is higher risk due to pressure on a nerve in the neck are babies whose heads are flexed forward when lying on their parents chest prone at less risk than prone on a mattress?

Can we suggest placing a small blanket in front of the baby lying on its side to prevent it lying on his/her front?

I know this is about risk assessment but when it is a vulnerable baby we are talking about I feel very nervous.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Love,

Sarah McCann. BScHons, IBCLC, LLL Leader.

www.breastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk