From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 22:15:20 -0400
I used to do pump trials years ago because I had access to an autoclave, and
because of the work involved charged the moms $20 to do this.  It took my
time to wash and autoclave the pumps, plus all the time to explain and help
them use the pumps.  Needless to say not many mothers took me up on this.   I
was also concerned about the liability issue, despite the autoclave.  Since
lots of mothers need to be able to compare pumps we now use pink balloons
which work great and are funny to boot.  It really lightens things up when
you tease the mom with "Now don't let your breast fall on the floor while
pumping!"  or jokes about unruly breasts while holding them and trying the
pumps.

If the mother already has a compatable pump kit from the hospital I invite
her to bring her personal kit in and she can  try my sample pumps.  We have a
private room in our office and often let them try the P___I_S____, pedal, and
L______, and mini using the moms own kit touching her body and her milk.  I
also have been collecting drug/toy store pumps for over 15 years and let them
use the balloons and try them too. That is the best way to show moms the
difference in quality.   It is such a shame for mothers to spend all that
money and hurt their breastfeeding by buying these horribly inferior
products.  They can only read the boxes at the store, which all make each
pump sound like God's gift to women.

Jane Bradshaw LLLL, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Private Practice