Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:36:17 EDT
Sallie asks,

> Am interested in your views regarding the future for IBLCE's...where do =
> you see the profession in 10 - 20 years?  >>

And Jay replies:

> MDs will slowly (like a bunch of dumb glaciers moving uphill .  .  . that's
> how slowly) realize that lactation consultants can help mothers succeed at
> breastfeeding AND make money for the doctor engaging their services full
> time.
>
> An in-office LC allows a doctor to see more patients and saves phone time
> and
> .  .  . the time equals money.  At that point, LCs will get more respect and
> more reimbursement for their services.  In the meantime, keep helping moms,
> solving problems doctors can't solve and then give the feedback to doctors
> so
> they can take a small amount of the credit .

And I just want to say that I've been working for a pediatric group as an
IBCLC for over 13 years.  I do not work in the office -- I work out of my
home, making rounds daily on all our moms/babies (when I'm not traveling!)
and seeing moms/babies in my home office when they need help.  I personally
think it is THE best position a lactation consultant can possibly have!
Frankly, I think Pete Liber of Wheaton Pediatrics had incredible foresight
over 13 years ago as to what his office needed when he was the only
pediatrician and new in practice.   He was the first peds in Illinois to
actually hire and PAY an IBCLC -- and may have been one of the first in the
country.   There are now 6 pediatricians -- all of them are terrific, and I
continue to think I'm the luckiest LC around.  I'd be interested in knowing
how many other lactnetters work for a pediatric or OB/CNM group -- where
their ONLY job is as an LC.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com