From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:59:52 -0500
  I shudder to think the

> liability the hospital is open to by giving out these discharge packs with

> cans of powdered formula in them.

And what are they using?  The powdered formula they got for free in

> their discharge pack given to them by the hospital.

What about all the powdered formula given to low income mothers in the US
by WIC? Any chance that WIC will change to liquid concentrate? Probably not
because it costs more, it's not in the contract, or they would have to
serve fewer families.

 Our hospital does not

> use any powdered formula while babies are here in the hospital - all
ready-

> to-feed liquid, but nothing is said to the parents about what form of

> formula they will use at home.

I have suggested to our staff that if they start babies on formula (RTF in
hospital) that they should teach the mother how to properly prepare the
type of formula she will be using at home. That idea was rejected. Even
though we have occasional hospitalized babies on Pediatrics from over- or
under-concentrated formula feeds.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates