From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:49:47 -0400

<< But in this case, I wonder
      a) IS she risking Reyes syndrome? >>

According to my dh the pharmacist, we are "sacrificing a good drug on the
altar of quantum leaps...."  Originally, word came out that we were not to
give ASA to children who had Chicken Pox (or, I believe, the flu) for fear
that it may cause Reyes.  That, in typical US fashion (who does NOTHING by
halves), translated within a couple of years to "never give a child an
aspirin."  (Hear McNeil, makers of Tylenol rejoicing all the way to the
bank).  Now it has gotten to, "never give a bf mother an aspirin because
perhaps the amount is significant enough to go through the milk and cause
Reyes in the baby.

How did we get from the chicken pox to breastfeeding?

His personal opinion is that ASA is probably not a problem.

But that's just his personal opinion.  I stand waiting to be flamed by all
McNeil representatives lurking on Lactnet.....

Jan B -- who is of the opinion that Tylenol, for the most part, is a
relatively useless drug.