From:
Margery Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:11:17 -0400
Dear wise ones:

        A friend of mine, who is nursing a nearly five-month-old,
went to the emergency room due to severe headache 2 weeks ago.  Her B/P
on arrival was 140/110, shot up to 236/120 before the verapamil kicked
in.  The ER doc sent her home on aldomet (methyldopa), and instructions
to see her family practise doc.

        The story gets longer than it needs to, here.  Paula tried to
make an appointment to see her regular FP, ended up seeing someone else
in the practise.  This doc told her that she wouldn't be able to nurse on
the drug he wanted to use (Lisinopril), and rightly so.  When Paula made
it clear that she wanted to continue breastfeeding, and wasn't there
another medication that could be used, this doctor "made an awful face,
stood up, and told (her) that it was either (her) pleasure in breastfeeding,
or living long enough to see (her) children grow up." Paula was so upset,
she didn't call me for a week.  She pumped and dumped until she could get
in to see her regular FP, which was yesterday (tuesday).

        Paula gave her regular FP an earfull.  He agreed that everything
she told him regarding the incident with the other doctor had been
handled wrong.  He discontinued the Lisinopril (last dose was 2 pm Monday)
and stated that he would find out what was the best medication for her
and that was compatable with nursing.  Paula told the doctor about me as
a possible resource.  I also called the office and left my name and
number as a resource.

        Today:  I just received a telephone call from a VERY frustrated
doctor.  The doc told me that he had been in contact with 3 ob/gyn's and
2 pediatricians, and NO ONE has been able to tell him which medication
would be *the best* one for this mom.  I told the doc the resources I use
(mostly Dr. Hale and the AAP list), and proceeded to look up drugs and
read verbatam.  I also explained that breastfeeding seems to fall under
no one's jurisdiction medically, which was one of the reasons *my*
profession came into being.  He seemed very interested, and asked would I
please drop off my cards and some literature!  I also told him about
lactnet, and the wonderful resources here.

        Now, after all of that: 1) What are the *best* antihypertensive(s)
that a nursing mother can take?  Fp is strongly considering Lotensin
(Benazepril HCl), but is anxiously awaiting your collective reply.
2)  How long must mom pump and dump due to Lisinopril (last dose mon
2pm)  5 half lives would be 2 1/2 days.  Baby is 5 months old.

Thank you all!

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC, winning over doctors one at a time....