From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:30:16 +0200
Hello Melinda,

I'm a bit busy (and too easily distracted from what I *should* be doing by
what I *like* to do ;-)), but I copy/paste here the references from bulletin
on candida from the Dutch breastfeeding association, that also explains
about Diflucan. Many family doctors don't know it and therefore won't
prescribe it, so this problem of yours is easily recognizable. :o)
Maybe you can google on some of them...? Hygiene is also very important of
course.
As for Diflucan: "Dosage for mothers with persistent Candida-infection of
the breast: first day 400 mg, after that 200 mg per day for fourteen days
to100 or 200 mg for six weeks if mastitis was caused by Candida. A single
dosis is nearly always insufficient." I'm sure Gonneke is able to lighten us
all up once more about gentian violet. ;o)

Kindly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands

Heinig MJ et al., Mammary Candidiasis in Lactating Women, Journal of Human
Lactation, Vol. 15, 4 dec. 1999.
2. Lawrence RA, Breastfeeding, a guide for the medical profession, Mosby,
2005.

3. Riordan J, Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 3rd edition, 2005.

4. Amir L, Hoover K, Mulford C, Lactation Consultant Series, Candidiasis &
Breastfeeding, Unit 18, Avery Publishing Group, 6-95.

5. Briggs, Freeman, Yaffe, Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation, a reference to
fetal and neonatal risk, 1997.

6. VBN-brochure 3, Voorkómen en genezen van pijnlijke tepels, oktober 2004.

7. Mulder-Wildemors LGM, Verduijn MM, Candidiasis bij borstvoeding, Pharm
Sel 2004;20:49-52.

8. RIVM, Geneesmiddelen, zwangerschap en borstvoeding, 2003.

9. Newman J, Pitman T, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, Three
Rivers Press, New York, 2000.

10. Hale TW, Medications and Mothers Milk, A manual of lactational
pharmacology, Amarillo USA, Pharmasoft Publishing, 11th edition