From:
"M.Reeder Mrr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:35:44 -0500
I was recently reading an article about Jane Seymour and her twins.  She is
evidently bf her twins and pumping for the nanny to feed when she is
unavailable.  Since these twins were supposedly conceived on fertility drugs
it reminded of a question that has been nagging at me for a long time.
I worked with a mom who was a G2P3 (second pregnancy-twins).  Both
pregnancies were accomplished with the use of fertility drugs. She said that
the OB stated that "her pituitary gland was shot". She also had some symtoms
of out of wack hormones, i.e.  excessive body and facial hair. It was
difficult to observe if she had normal breast development during puberty and
pregnancy as she was quite heavy but she felt that her development was ok.
  The twins were normal , full term and about 5# each.  They had tight
frenulums, which she finally found a pedi dentist to clip but other than that
they had normal sucks and ate often.  She also had them to the chiropracter
but I didn't see any marked difference in their feeding behavior.  The deal
was, that even with the large amount of stimulation that these babies were
giving this mom,  her milk just never seemed to come in. We were talking
drops after a couple of weeks.  I was dying to do a prolactin level test but
she seemed to have enough stress in her life. (a two year old, and a husband
who had just been diagnosed with full blown AIDS.  She and the babies were
HIV negative.  He died when the twins were just a few months old.)  Of course
I considered stress and other things in the problem of no milk but I kept
having a nagging feeling that there just wasn't enough hormonal support.
I was interested to read the post recently about the mom who was "jump
started" by Reglan.  Also the information on the drugs being used in the
?Phillipines? to help with relactation.  Has there been any studies on this.
Can a lack of hormonal support drastically affect bf.   Do any of you have
other experiences with this?,  Of course we are seeing more and more moms
with babies who came with the help of various infertility interventions.
I'm still reading everyday and thank all of you for your wonderful posts.
:) Merilee Reeder