Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:31:57 +0100
>   I also
>understand that calories are one of the most important factors in a
>breastfeeding woman's diet to sustain milk supply (Olds, 2000, p.344).

I think further research in the literature will show you this is not
really true, Melissa.

There are a number of papers showing that mothers can sustain a
sufficient milk supply on a very low intake.

Teleologically, this would make sense! Over the gazillions of years,
mothers have not been able to rely on being well-fed all the time,
and they have needed a mechanism to continue making milk, even though
they are under-fed themselves.

Even today, there are places and situations in the world where women
are very poorly nourished but sustain a milk supply.

There are many more important factors in sustaining a milk supply,
and (IMHO) the supposed link with mother's calorie-intake is often
overstated.

There's some good information, and references, in Infant Feeding: The
Physiological Basis (ed J. Akre), WHO, 1989.

Good luck with your work!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK