Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:07:18 -0500
Some of you know of my position on Reglan--negative.  In light of the
stories of depression that we have heard this past week, I urge LCs to not
take lightly the high risk of depression with the use of Reglan.  I know
that it does increase milk, but, for me, it comes at too high a price. Some
of us feel that the alternative (abm) is a greater risk to the health of
the baby.  I hate that we have to make this choice, but, having seen one
mother lose her emotional health *and* her breastfeeding relationship, I
don't recommend it. Rather, I inform my clients of the sources of
domperidone--Canada and Mexico--and let them make their choices and, of
course, recommend the herbs that I have found helpful.

Domperidone, which Jack Newman has introduced us to in the US, has the same
positive effect as Reglan (increased milk supply), with very few possible
side effects, and those are mild and rare. I have clients who are using it
with great results. See his handout on Domperidone and lots of other good
stuff at:

www.erols.com.cindyrn

Tom Hale wrote in 1997 that FDA approval of domperidone in the US was close
to coming.  Of course, it didn't happen.  He said last fall that with
Propulsid being removed from the US market, he expected that domperidone
would have a greater chance of approval.

One problem is that it won't be approved for use in stimulating breastmilk,
but neither is Reglan approved for that use.  There are many drugs that are
used for other than what they are designed for. If/when domperidone is
approved here, mothers will find it much easier to obtain.

Meanwhile, they can have their HCP call the Canadian pharmacy in Toronto
and the med. will be shipped out quickly. I have three clients who are
using this medication, which is used for gastro-esophogeal reflux
The pharmacy is:

Murray Shore Pharmacy

1 800 201-8590

It is perfectly legal to do this.  I appreciate that some of you may be
uncomfortable suggesting this step, and it *is* rather outside our usual
practice, but I give you this information, and you can do with is as you
see fit.  A number of LCs do inform HCPs of this option. I find that if I
talk with the HCP and send Dr. Jack's article on the use of Domperidone,
she/he is often quite comfortable with calling in the script.  Of course, I
have had better luck with Family Physicians, than I have with OBs, partly
because the FP is interested in what an infant is fed, but I did have one
OB who was willing to call it in.

And one can order it herself directly from a Mexico pharmacy where it is
over-the-counter, as it is in some other countries.

The phone number is 011 526 654 1834. Ask for Oscar or Gabriel.  They speak
English, know about domperidone, and will mail it to you.

So... an American woman can get Domperidone for increasing her milk supply,
she just has to go a bit out of her way to do so--for now.

I'm glad to read that the gastroenterologists are lobbying for it.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]