Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:21:59 +0000
>I would add any analogy that compares formula to junk food should be added

Ooh, yes, that's a good (bad) one!

>  and the now infamous example of comparing formula feeding to AIDS.

Eeeek - yes, that one as well :(

>The message is not heard when such comparisons/language is used.
>I have also come to the opinion that in talking about the risks of
>formula feeding it is vital to also provide information on how to
>mitigate some of these risks.

Yes - I am getting better at this, and in classes, I have found it is
understood ok. I don't 'teach' formula feeding in any way at all, but
of course the use of formula and bottles comes up in discussions, as
it should.  Often, someone will talk about 'breastfeeding protecting
against infection' or having antibodies etc, and I can say 'yes, and
this is one reason why when formula is used, parents are advised on
how to prepare and use it, because formula fed babies just don't have
that protection...anyone using formula has to know how to reduce
these risks.'

>But I don't always get it right!

It's hard, and I put my foot in it all the time :)

HWN, UK