From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:02:34 -0700
Hi everyone, I'm new to lactnet and to the computer world. This is so
much fun and scary at the same time. Kinda like the first time I got on
skis and went down the intermediate slope.  Needless to say, I plowed
through the snow face first. I just wanted to comment on the lc having
to present on bottlefeeding.  Life is so full of ironies.   When I
worked at WIC, one of the nutritionist who did the infant feeding class
always said to the moms, "if you want ready-to-feed you have to
breastfeed!"  She presented the information on formula as required but
turned it around so that we always had at least one mother who would
want to relactate--that's why I was there.  Wish I had a video of her
presentation.  I also wanted to comment on toxins in milk.  I recently
read a very interesting book on how chemicals in the environment mimic
estrogen--like DDT does.  These scientists thought it was better to
bottlefeed.  I sent them the reprint from the JHL on the risks of
formula feeding, plus a letter encouraging them to rethink the issue. I
think those reprints are worth buying and sending to all those
environmentalists who just don't get it.  Thanks to Kathleen Bruce for
your quick answer to my question and thanks to all for listening.  Warm
regards, Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC