From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:53:47 +0200
Chris said:

"there is NO REPLACEMENT FOR WATCHING THE BABY CAREFULLY, LISTENING TO THE
MOM, AND JUST PLAIN EXPERIENCE WITH COMMON SENSE.   I know that we all, on
LN that is, truly know this, it's all the rest I worry about."

Having watched this thread with interest I wish to humbly add my two cent's
worth.  Where I live it is "the rest I worry about".  When a mother of a
normal, healthy full term baby is told on the basis of one test weight per
week that she has too little/ too much/ enough milk, despite the fact that
baby is consistently gaining above average every week - well, I just
despair!  The scale is being "watched carefully", not the baby!  This is so
disempowering and I am so tired of picking up the pieces.  Over the last
fifteen years or so test weighing  has become common practice in some
well-baby clinics and pharmacies and mothers now expect that this is what
needs to be done to "check" the breastfeeding.

Since being in private practice (10 years) I have never done a test weight -
but I am *not* saying that I never will.  All tools have their uses.  I do
not often see the kind of problems that Jan and others have shared with us.
The few babies that I have seen with weight gain problems have been weighed
every two or three days after changes in bf management. If and when I do use
this tool, I will find another name for it!  The word "test" can cause
anxiety all on its own.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
Cape Town, South Africa