From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:04:06 -0700
I've recently become acquainted with a physician at Clinica Campesina-
a low income, reduced fee or free clinic,  in Denver who is very
breastfeeding supportive.   I see her once in a week as we shower
after working out :-) and over the past months she has urged me to
volunteer at the similar People's Clinic (and not take no for an
answer!) and realised how many moms and babies are falling through the
cracks.   She needs someone who speaks Spanish to teach the Hispanic
moms to avoid the pitfalls of "no leche" and to, at the very least,
breastfeed exclusively until they have to go back to their cleaning
jobs at 4 weeks postpartum.   I would jump on the chance if I spoke
Spanish but alas, I foolishly studied German.

In the meantime- and I know we've talked about this before- I'd like
some suggestions for Spanish Language materials, probably of low grade
level reading.   I have no idea of the reputation of La Leche League
in that part of town so I need something more than that.  the main
pitfalls seem to be:
- early return to work, with no time to pump
- worry that the baby won't take the bottle if they breastfeed
exclusively prior to returning to work
- value of colostrum- and how to overcome cultural fears of giving it the baby
-need for a fat, well indulged baby.
-need to "spoil" the girls- many (most?) have dreadful decay because
of sweet fluids given in bottles.

I obviously can't evaluate the material very well since I can't read it.

--
--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html