Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:35:36 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
AMEN AMEN AMEN WINNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was SO afraid to open that door.  As a LLLL AND nursing student (I also speak to nursing students on behalf of LLL @ Post Clinicals about bf), I see this FAR TOO OFTEN.  It is SO frustrating to me.  

I will try and keep this as short as I possibly can.  How in the *world* are we ever going to change mainstream's ideals of the normal progression of childbirth & bf?  America has such a "business" of having babies that we seem to forget what truly is important....it's these mothers & babies!!!  They put their trust in HCPs and then when things aren't going "as planned" all of the sudden they are being induced, given PIT, scheduled for a C-SECT, denied that VBAC (which is mostly a legal issue from what I've gathered) - because *moms* feel they screwed it up the first time ...

This is the whole reason I'm becoming a nurse.  I received *such poor* info w/ my first child, I feel like there is a better, more educated process.

Nurses giving supplementation on their own accord is a HUGE problem @ our hospital.  I feel like it's a liability case waiting to happen...- not that it would be on my conscience though.  This situation is very frustrating...although I do understand there is a new (2006) curriculum for OB/GYNs & Peds. in nursing school for supporting bf mothers....that's all we can hope for is education @ the right time....this is why I speak @ post - clinicals!!

Joy
  ps..thanks for opening that door!!  Too many nurses don't even give it a 2nd thought...I actually have a friend that said she sees others doing it because they "have baby fever of their own"...good grief!!

Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  One reason I have not seen mentioned is "Nurse Choice". Unfortunately, there are still some nurses who feel it is "nursing discretion" to supplement whether or not the mom has indicated she wants it done! In other cases, they strongly "encourage" mom to have supplement given-"You need your sleep", " Your milk isn't in yet", "You'll get plenty of chances to give night feedings when you get home", "Your baby is starving", "Don't let anyone tell youit's not OK. I gave mine bottles and they did just fine"etc. etc. etc.. I don't consider these to be "maternal request" because the mom has not been able to make a truly informed choice. My biggest frustration (and one factor that led me to retire earlier than I had originally planned to) was that when I would point out that supplement had been given without mom's consent or even in spite of her request not to, I would be told that the nurse was "doing the best she could". Of course, I could never counter a criticism with "I was
 doing the best I could", but that's another whole subject. If those in charge of a department don't believe in the value and normal course of breastfeeding, nurses feel free to do things their way regardless of all attempts to educate and change practice!

Winnie Mading

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

---------------------------------
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2