Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:14:28 -0400
A short re-introduction.  My name is Alicia Rudin (not to be confused with
the physician Alicia Dermer).  I've been a LLLLeader for almost 5 years and
plan to sit the IBCLE next summer (2000!).  Before children I got a MA in
Anthro (population genetics) and then worked in research labs and then as a
Quality Assurance tech for biotech firms.  Now, I'm working at figuring out
what I want to do when I grow-up.  I have two children, boy 8yo and girl
4yo.  My dh is doing his 2nd post-doc in biology at the Univ. of KY.

Gerri wrote:
>i have a mom with a 2 yr.+ old daughter. she would like advice as how best
>to wean her child off bf- the least traumatic way for the baby. main ques
>is to do it gradually or 'cold turkey'. any help would be appreciated-
>please send comments either to the list or directly to me via e-mail or
>icq# 44477437.

DEFINITELY DO IT GRADUALLY (as long as there are no medical reasons it
needs to be done immediately).  It will be the least traumatic for mom and
child.  Is there a particular reason she wants to wean?  Has she been in
touch with LLL in Israel.  If not I can give you an e-mail address of a
Leader in Jerusalem.

Anyway, if she really wants to wean and is not just calling out for support
for extended breastfeeding here are a few things to think about to help her
make a plan.

What is the feeding that she can most likely skip?  Which is the feeding
that there is no way she can skip.  How will she substitute the
physical/emotional comfort her child gets from breastfeeding?  Will she
just sit and cuddle, read a book, etc.  Has she started setting some limits
of where/when  the child can breastfeed and where/when she needs to wait?

Weaning is the main subject of quite a few books (see LLL web site).
Speaking of the LLL web site  http://www.lalecheleague.org/ , check out the
FAQs on the web site.

This is just a start - the first thing to do is find out if she really
wants to wean or is just feeling pressure from the outside.  Hope this
helps.  I feel as if I brought up more questions than I answered.

Alicia Rudin, LLLL in the Bluegrass (Lexington, KY)
aka Post Poster and AS for Kentucky
and academic nomad
mailto:[log in to unmask]