From:
"Jon Ahrendsen, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 03:46:48 -0500

From:    "Linda J. Smith   Subject: Re: holiday horrors
On Christmas eve, I rented a pump to a mother discharged - get this - at 6
pm, WITHOUT HER BABY.  Where is this hospital's heart??  Couldn't they keep
her overnight one more day so she could stay with her premie this one special
night of the year???

ONSBN (On Soap Box Now) (I made this up!)
Boy is that place in need of a wake up call!   Is the baby home now?

I am continually amazed at:

the BIG hospitals----everybody thinks bigger is better,,,,,,well our little
35 bed hospital        would never do this to the mother, NEVER NEVER NEVER.

how patients let the medical establishment push them around.  What would the
hospital        have done if the mother said,," MAke me leave!!!!  GO AHEAD
AND DISCHARGE        ME IF YOU WANT BUT I AM NOT LEAVING MY BABY!!!!!!"

When my wife needed orthopedic surgery on her wrist.  We told our orthopedic
surgeon that we wanted a private room because Becky was still nursing Karl.
 I planned to sleep on a camping pad on the floor with Karl and then help
Becky nurse him during the night.
Well when the YOUNG evening nurse came in the room to tell me that visiting
hours were over at 8PM and that I would have to leave.  My reply was, "You
will need to get somebody bigger than me to make me leave (I'm 6'3", 215
pounds). I am staying to help my wife nurse our son, and we have already
cleared this with our doctor, I suggest you check with him."  A half hour
later the hand surgeon came in and said,"you won't have anymore problem with
stayingin the room overnight."  I know  I probably get some special
consideration because I am a physician, but the squeeky wheel does get the
grease.

How would the hospital's marketing department like it if this lady went to
the press with          this sob story about being sent out of the "inn" on
Christmas Eve?  Somebody          could really create some bad press for the
hospital with this, but the iron is          getting a little  cold.

It amazes me that the doctors are not the patient advocates that they are
suppose to         be.  What about the Hippocratic oath that says....the
health of my patient will be         my first consideration.....?  Health
does include mental and emotional health too.

OFFSBN (Off Soap Box Now)

*  Jon Ahrendsen, M.D. FAAFP, LLLI Medical Associate   *
*  215 13th Ave SW                                                        *
*  Clarion, Iowa 50525  USA                                            *
*  515-532-2836, FAX 532-2523, Email [log in to unmask]   *