From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:54:44 -0500
Kathy said:

 You have to always keep in the forefront of
your mind that the specific individual you are talking to may or may not
fit
the 'pattern' that has been described for their particular group.

AMEN!!!

Every time I see a course offered in my office that says "come learn about
what Mexicans or Vietnamese or Russians or xxx believe,"...it "raises my
hackles".

I believe the best way to learn what a mom believes or thinks is to ASK
her!  She may have family traditions that are based on family history,
education, socio-economic group, etc.

As long as we communicate an accepting tone and manner, they will let us
know!

Learning lists of what is "hot and cold" food for the Mexicans vs the
Asians doesn't help if her mother taught her differently!  (Does everyone
know the story of the mom who cut the ham end off...who asked her mother
why...who asked HER mother why...who learned this was because Grandma's pan
was too small for a full ham?)

Generally I hear that "Hispanics" believe such and such...as a Puerto
Rican, I can tell you that what I learned and was taught is very different
from Mexicans from the northern part of Mexico, from the Coast, from the
East or central indian villages and from the southern areas...and very
different from Argentinians.

I speak fluent Spanish...but don't know these differences.  I ask the mom
what her mom has told her she should eat, or how/what her baby should be
fed, or where he/she should sleep, etc.  Then I ask her what she
thinks...and we go on from there.  If her beliefs will not be dangerous or
detrimental, we just discuss how interesting these differences are and go
on.  If they ARE dangerous (sleeping on the stomach in an overheated room
with 3 blankets, for example, which I do find very often), I explain why we
now know new information, and how we have learned it.  Often grandma is
present and also willing to learn.  (I will never forget the side-lying
twins I found in a home - they were so cute I asked permission and took a
picture of them.  After discussing the situation, grandma herself placed
them on their back - then insisted I take ANOTHER picture with them placed
correctly!)

We learn from the mothers we meet - one of the biggest reasons for the long
hours of preparation for the IBCLC exam.  No book can teach us this!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA