From:
MARIE BIANCUZZO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 09:20:50 -0400
I apologize if this seems to be an inappropriate use of Lactnet, but as
it has to do with lactation and multiple people have asked me about it,
I'm going to put out a general message.(Also, I've been out of town this
week, I'll never *live* long enough to respond to all of these messages
privately!)

For those of you whom a wrote to a couple of days ago, I gave the old
address for the Institute for Reproductive Health. I have no idea why on
earth I did this, as I know better and physically GO to the new address.
I just wasn't thinking. Here's the address for the Institute:
Georgetown Center 6th Floor
2115 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington DC 20007
202-687-1392 phone
202-687-6846 fax

The manual on teaching LAM is:

Parenteau-Carreau, S. & Cooney,K (1994). Breastfeeding, Lactational
Amenorrhea Method, and Natural Family Planning Interface: A teaching guide.

I got a complimentary copy when I gave a talk for the Institute, but I
can't imagine that this small book would be very expensive. It is 35
pages long.

I would also just like to comment that several people on Lactnet, in
their discussions of LAM, have leaped to some conclusions. I'd like to
reiterate what I said in my original post...that LAM and NFP are NOT the
same as the rhythm method, and that not getting one's menses is not
equivalent to using the scientific method of LAM. Let's not perpetrate
any myths!I am certainly no expert on LAM, but I'd just like to make sure
that those who are interested pursue someone or something (book or
whatever) that indeed presents it as a scientific method, not a
hit-or-miss type of thing.

--
Marie Biancuzzo, RN MS                      Perinatal Nurse Consultant
PO Box 1562                                        Phone: 703-758-0092