From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:38:56 -0400
>I love how a healthcare decision is dependent in the USA by a consideration
>of how shocking the recommendations maybe to the patients.  My, what care and
>concern we have about the psychological well-being of American women!
My sense is that AAP wanted to be taken seriously and was concerned that
2 years would be dismissed without consideration. The issue of
psychological
well-being of American women (i.e. guilt) is a real one that has been
discussed  many times here but I don't think that's what we're talking
about here.

>Most of the American mothers I know, if the pediatrician says wean because
>today is Wednesday and it looks like it is going to rain, will wean out of
>respect for the knowledge and expertise of that medical person.  So, if the
>doc says we recommend breastfeeding for 1 year, do you really think these
>women would question it.  They might think it was crazy but many would try
>and do it.
I wish this was true. I don't have any research to back this up (it would
be a great project thought) but I suspect that women are much more willing
to wean when the doctor says than to continue nursing for a year because
the
doctor says. Besides, just because AAP recommends it, doesn't mean it's
part of individual pediatrician's list of things to discuss with their
patients.

  Naomi Bar-Yam