From:
Jaye Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:52:15 -0800
Hi All,
I went to a conference recently (wish I could remember which one and who it
was) where this was discussed.  The use of mom washing cracked, scabbed
nipples (especially those that are infected!) with soap at least once a day
is simply proper wound care.  When we cut ourselves, what is the first thing
we do?  We wash with soap to get everything nice and clean - get rid of
bacteria, etc.  Same principal applies, and makes sense if you think about
it.  With moms applying ointments to cracked nipples and babies nursing on
them, we want them to keep the nipples clean - proper wound care does this.
This was also discussed for use with thrush.  The washing with soap helps to
get rid of excess yeast thus helping the yeast to clear up faster.  The soap
to use is a gentle soap that is not antibacterial - like Dove or Ivory or
baby soap.

Now, due to this information, I am recommending this care to my moms in this
situation and guess what I am seeing?  Nipples healing faster.  I recommend
that they take care of this while in the shower.  Now, once everything is
healed, soap isn't needed anymore.  All we are doing is recommending proper
wound care protocols...

Warmly,
Jaye