From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:12:29 -0500
Hi. I am responding to the post about temp regulation and fathers. Susan
Ludington gave a great talk in Chicago Friday about kangaroo care.  I still
need to go through my notes, but I do clearly remember her stating that
only mom can truly regulate temp in newborn because the breast can cool
down or heat up where dads chest tends to just heat up and stay that way
regardless of baby's temp. However she does recommend skin to skin for dads
to help baby recognize his smell ect. She also mentioned that  a baby will
root and search for breast on dad and some will even latch onto to dad's
nipple.  One baby sucked on dad for quite awhile in one study that was
done.  Of course that brought laughter to the audience when Susan told us
how proud dad was of his baby!! Susan also mentioned something about
oxytocin levels in dad fluctuating with skin contact but I will have to
reread that for a better understanding. She said that the American
Dermatological Society (I think that is the one) is making some amazing
breakthroughs in cutaneous neurobiology.

If anyone would like some references on what I have posted I can get them
to you.  Just let me know.

Christine Lichte, LLL Leader, IBCLC