From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:37:40 -0800
The point was made (by Carol, I think) that a remarkable number of
otherwise helpful lactation  assistants do not recognize or have
recommendations for breastfeeding problems beyond the first few days
postpartum. This is true in my experience, and not only that, some of
the "help" that is given in the hospital gives problems that must be
mopped up by someone else (ex: the "non-existant" nipple
confusion---see me grit my teeth?) a few days later. This is REALLY
tough to swallow!  One of the best benefits of La Leche League Leaders
and councellors from other mother-to mother groups is that recognition
of "normal" verses "needs help" in situations with "older" nurslings.
JMHO.
Rowena Tucker PA,LLLL,IBCLC
College Station, TX