From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:18:30 -0600
LactNetters, I need your ideas.  A woman named "B" sent me an email asking
if she really needed to keep breastfeeding her 14 month old son for 4 more
months until he was 18 months, in order for him to get the "18 month
immunization".  Apparently, someone told her that at 18 months postpartum,
the child gets an extra boost of immunities in the breast milk, almost like
colostrum, and just as important.  She wrote: "I was recently informed that,
when my son reaches about 18 months old, my milk will provide him with
antibodies similar to those in colostrum for a newborn." She wanted to wean
because she is having health problems, and only nurses once a day, but was
willing to hang in there for four more months if this "18 month" thing was
for real, and if it happened even if you were only nursing once a day.  I
wrote back and said (1) who the heck told you this, I've never heard
anything like this in my life and (2) what health problem do you have that
you think will be made better by weaning?  She sent the following
information and I asked her permission to post this to LactNet to see if
anyone has any ideas.  Dr. Rob, Dr. Jack, Dr. Gail, Dr. Andrew, the
Kathleens?  All you IBCLCs and others with more knowledge that I about the
effects of lactation on vaginal ph and dryness and smooth walls?  Anyone?
Please response directly to me mailto:[log in to unmask] as well as to the
list.  Thanks.

>Hi Kathy! Here's the description. I'd also like any info. anyone has on the
>18 month antibodies, if there is such a thing.  Also, should nursing just
>once a day affect my ability to accurately use the Fertility Awareness
>Method?  I can't thank you enough!  You are very generous with your time and
>knowledge.

As far as the "18 month antibodies" info., I do not have a reference to it.
I was told this by [named deleted]. She is also the person who referrred me
to your website.

As for my health situation, I have a low vaginal Ph (about a 2) and low
estrogen, both of which my OB/GYN said could have been at least partially
caused by nursing.  Due to those conditions, I have a smooth vaginal
interior, with no folds to hold mucosa and my "good bacteria" has been
depleted. I have been trying to get rid of a vaginal infection as well as
extreme dryness and burning, sometimes bad enough to keep me awake all
night.  I have been taking premerin estrogen cream vaginally, as well as
boric acid vaginal suppositories.  The condition has improved, but not
much.

I wonder if stopping nursing completely will help.  In addition to needing
the symptoms to disappear, I also do not want to be on premerin when I get
pregnant again, even though my doctor says it's OK.

I also have chronic Urinary Tract Infections (resulting in a few surgeries)
and unrelated lupus (in remission).  While I do not believe that nursing
has directly had a negative effect on these conditions, the constant pain from
my vaginal symptoms wears me down, thus making me more vulnerable to UTI's
and lupus pain & fatigue.

My son and I both love nursing before bedtime.  My doctor has said we can
continue to try to treat the situation with medication if I want to keep
nursing my 14 month old. But if the physical benefits of nursing once daily
aren't significant, I feel I would be a better mother if I could get rid of
the constant, draining pain (assuming that stopping nursing would, indeed,
help to resolve the symptoms sooner). I have had these symptoms since he
was born and finally realized it wasn't urinary and got proper treatment
starting two months ago. The symptoms should have been gone by now, but
aren't.  I am now starting another course of antibiotics (ampicillin).  I
would love any feedback you can offer if you are familiar with this
condition - low Ph, dryness, etc. as it relates to nursing.  I don't want
to give up nursing if it offers my son a significant physical benefit and/or
would not relieve my symptoms sooner anyway.  But, I will stop if it will
relieve my symptoms sooner and will not deprive my son of much physical
benefit.  THANK YOU!

Kathy Dettwyler