From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:03:49 -0400
Good that research is being published about this.  Like Steph, I rarely if ever hear a peep from a baby during heel sticks if the mother is breastfeeding while I collect the sample, and I have done hundreds of PKU screens and bilirubin tests over the past 8 years this way.  I wait until I see the baby swallowing actively.  The other good thing is the reflex vasodilation to the extremities, so I don't need to warm the foot ahead of time.  Works like a charm and really brings home to the mother how useful breastfeeding is in all sorts of situations.  Plus, it saves me time and effort.  Win-win-win.  Gotta love it.

I've tried to administer BCG (Bacille Calmette-Guerin, the vaccine against tuberculosis given in the newborn period to selected populations groups here) while mother is breastfeeding, but find it awkward.  BCG is given intracutaneously, a challenge in the best of circumstances, and I have trouble getting the needle aligned properly if the baby is at the breast.  But IM injections would be no problem.

There have been several studies indicating that breastfeeding is more effective than concentrated sugar solutions and holding the baby in a parent's arms, as pain relief for heel sticks.  Some of our lab techs have been won over after seeing how well it works, and others are hesitant because they are concerned that the baby will associate breastfeeding with something traumatic.  I try to point out that the blood test itself is not as traumatic as being placed on a flat surface, alone, to have the test taken.  If they can observe it being done, it helps, because it is so clear that there is nothing traumatic about it if the baby is on the breast.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway