From:
Jeanne Cygnus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 11:15:46 -0500
Hi all!
	Diane wrote about advertisers not showing 'icky' human milk in their
ads -- this is something I've often mused about as well!  However, Ameda
DOES show milk in their bottles in their literature and on their packaging
-- Medela bottles are always shown empty - which has always puzzled me.  I
agree that showing milk at least hints that the product works!

-Jeanne Cygnus, IBCLC
Cygnus Lactation Services
www.CygnusLactation.com

>I don't think it's cultural paranoia Nikki, I think it's misogyny.
>Breast milk comes from women.  And women have nasty icky fluids.

I saw an example of this just this morning.  It's an ad for a hands-free =
pumping bra.  Lovely-looking flat-tummied woman, busily pumping away =
while she sits cross-legged on the floor typing... and there's no milk =
in the bottles.

Now, if *I* were planning the ad, I'd want to show that the bra *worked* =
- that it held the flanges firmly enough for a good seal and thus for =
good milk production.  And to show it worked, I'd put ample proof in the =
bottles.  Silly me.  I guess lovely women just can't go producing icky =
fluids on the backs of glossy magazines.  So I've started looking for =
*any* ads showing "human milk".  The Snappies ads do (though no women in =
sight).  Do any others show milk?  In a quick search I haven't found =
any.  Interesting!  I thought they used to...

I can't help but think that the biohazard/icky fluid issue may be one of =
the many "brush fires" that will put themselves out once we talk about =
the hazards of formula instead of the glories of breastmilk.  When women =
are finally more embarrassed to pull out a bottle than a breast, will =
the biohazard silliness kind of... dry up on its own, just like the =
dolls and greeting cards and signs with bottles?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com