Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:27:59 EST
I have a mother with a 6-7 month old baby.  Mom has recently returned to work
2 days a week.  Mom exclusively breastfed until then.  Her milk supply has
been on the border line low side all along.  Baby is barely on the 10% raaange
for growth.  Mom had her blood sugar checked the other day for grins.  Fasting
sugar was 30 then after doughnuts and oj sugar only went up to 47.  Could this
be the reason for her low milk supply?  I read about 1 case where mom in
hospital with a 19 sugar had no milk until hypoglycemia corrected.  If
breastfeeding helps a diabetic mom control her sugar levels,  then could it
cause exacerbation of a hypoglycemic mom?
Thanks for your input,
Kellie Richardson RNC, IBCLC