From:
Jean De Lapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:29:59 -0800
Dear Lactnet:
I have a mother who called & asked if she could nurse her baby after
having a CAT scan. She informed me she had some symptoms of a TIA prior
to her delivery & was induced early as her BP was normal the baby was
not stressed & the symptoms of tingling & numbness in her face & arms &
blurred vision subsided. To be sure of this the MD wants her to have a
CAT Scan.
I called the hospital where she will have this done & the nuclear med
tech stated the dye is not the radioactive type of contrast used in
thyroid scans, but the hospital policy was to stop nursing for 48 hours
even though he said most of the contrast is 98.9% gone in 24 hours & the
hospital didn't want to be responsible is the baby would get some of
this iodine & have a anaphylaxis to the dye?
Is 48 hrs reasonable to me I felt the 24 hours I gave him the Hale guide
but I did not hear back from him. It is policy! Oh brother....
Thanks any light that could be shed is appreciated
Jean
--
MZ