From:
Theresa Chmiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:41:09 EDT
Sure. I'll share.  I say, "It seems in our society food is the way to
interact with others.  'Let's do lunch,' 'Join me for tea.'  It's the way we
socialize.  We even have 'comfort' food.  But remember, nurture doesn't
necessarily mean NOURISH.  We need to teach Daddy, Gramma, and whoever else
might want to interact and nurture the baby that there are so many OTHER
wonderful ways to do this (typically the room is filled with daddies and
grammas, which I encourage, that way they hear this from me).  One of the
most important ways to nurture is to simply hold, cuddle and talk to the
baby.  Other ways to nurture are to sing, rock, bathe, and massage (notice
not once did I mention changing diapers, for some reason dads aren't real
receptive to that one!).  Research has shown these interactions work hand in
hand with breast feeding to optimize infant brain development."

I taught CBE, breastfeeding, and parenting.  It seemed this question was
raised during each class.  The response was always the same:  offer other
ways of interacting with the baby, because typically interaction is what is
desired any way.

Each time I explain this I see little lights go on, like, "Duh!  Of course
there are other ways to interact with a baby.  We just never thought of them
before!"  Just a little change in the way of thinking.

Warmly,
Theresa Chmiel, CLC, ICCE
Las Vegas, NV