From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 15:34:26 +0000
“Mom was moved to the intensive care unit (ICU) today due to low blood
pressure that would not come up, a persistent infection that was not
responding to antibiotics, kidney failure, low fever, and hives resulting
from a medicinal reaction.

The good news is, we think we have figured out what’s going on. Best guess
is the infection in her leg caused sepsis (blood poisoning) which shut down
her kidney function. The Infectious Disease Doctor was called in, and
prescribed a special cocktail of antibiotics to treat the infection. Mom
had to have a central line inserted in her neck to facilitate a more rapid
delivery of medication to raise her low blood pressure (in the 80s). She
also has another catheter on the other side of her neck for dialysis to
help restore her kidney function.
Ideally, when her infection is cured her kidney function will return to
normal. It is our hope that she will begin to heal in the coming days.
We are very thankful for the good thoughts and prayers you are sending our
way. “

Sending Norma the best wishes possible and I hope she heals quickly and
well.

Love  Kathleen
--

Kathleen B. Bruce RN BSN IBCLC