Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:03:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:19 PM
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 17 Jan 2003 - Special issue (#2003-85)

I agree with Barbara about checking pumping as part of our assessment. When
mothers call with complaints that pumping is very painful, it could be an
inproper phange size or it could be that the suction which is hard to read
is up to max without the mother knowing. I ask mothers on the phone where
they have the suction. Invaribly, they say that it is only on1, thinking
that this is the suction setting. They are often shocked to discover that
this is NOT the suction setting. There may be directions somewhere in the
pump kit but these are sleep deprived overly stressed out parents. A pump
should not just be handed to parents. Teaching should be part of the rental
picture, but it often is not being done. Ann Anderson, IBCLC New Jersey