From:
"Julie S. Brill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:47:49 -0400
I am a childbirth educator and one of my current students is a postpartum
nurse. I know that she may not be representational of the pp nurses on her
floor, but I am so sad for the moms she has seen and will see. Not only
does she have no intention of breastfeeding, but she announced in class
that one advantage of formula feeding is that you know the baby is getting
enough. So I launched in to how to tell when a bf baby is getting enough.
She responded by saying that no, "a lot" of moms don't make enough milk
and you never can be sure the baby is getting enough?! Imagine the message
she is giving to new moms that somehow have remained convinved that they
want to "try" to nue! I am so sad. This is supposed to be a progressive
hospital! And she is not old enough to be more than 4 or 5 years out of
nursing school!
Last night I taught a breastfeeding class and the women all agreed that
they would never call LLL because they are all so radical, and that they
would all never bf past 4 months (that was the longest) and certainly
never when the baby had teeth. Some days I get so tired.
Any suggestions on preventing burnout would be much appreciated!
Thanks for listening,
Julie Brill, who would never speak to her students from her radical heart
for fear of loosing them all completely