From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:12:42 EST
Holly writes;
>>I am looking for information regarding extreme overproduction in a first
time
mom I have as a patient, who has a 20 day old, and the use of birth control
pills for a short period of time to slow things down for her.  I have tried
for 3 weeks using the standard treatments (one side feeds, even for 2
consecutive feeds, cabbage 3 to 5 times/day, sage tea/parsely.......<<
You don't mention, but how frequent are the feeds? Unless they are currently
q3-4hrs or greater between feeds, I would try to gently space them a little
more by concentrating on increasing fdng effectiveness. She can also spend
much longer on one side only, several feeds in a row or more depending on
what she can endure in the short term, would use hefty dose of ibuprofen for
3 days to help with this. If nipple soreness is caused by trauma d/t the
difficult latch to an overfull breast, I would encourage her to pump to
soften, if this helps with trauma otherwise no pumping or stimulation of any
kind between feeds ie. massage, manipulation of breasts, heat (including hot
showers or baths-keep to immediately prior to feed).
I have no experience with using any type of medication to curb supply as I
have never had an experience where the above measures don't work!
Good Luck!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn, Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts