From:
Rachael Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:54:08 -0500
Can I have some clarification of an issue regarding donar milk please from
the wise women (and men!) on this list?

A midwife friend of mine transferred a homebirthed baby into the SCN. The
baby required additional milk to what the mother could supply. Another
homebirth mother who birthed the same day, donated her EBM for the SNC
baby.
While the mothers didn't know each other directly, they knew of each other
having shared the same midwife. The SCN mother had seen recent blood tests
of the donor mother so she knew the milk was "clean" and made an informed
decision to give it to her baby over an artificial baby milk.

The nursery staff have issues with this.

My question is, are there issues justified in any way? The donar milk was
not pasturised and the unit doesn't have a policy on donar EBM as they do
not have a milk bank in the district. I would assume that the informed
decisionof the mother to give donar milk would be her decision alone to
make, regardless of hospital protocol i.e the right to refuse.

Can anyone share any thoughts on this?

Blessings,
Rachael