From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2015 10:42:55 +0200
> What do you think helped?

Thanks for asking, Barbara.  Baby is now fully at breast. :)
I intend to ask the mother to write her own story.

I believe the main factors in this case were the mother's knowledge of what it was like to mother a child through breastfeeding and her determination.  (She bf a biological child into toddlerhood.)  We had an intensive consultation way before baby arrived with many follow-up phone calls.  She was well prepared with the *what* to do.

However, once baby arrived, it became an emotional issue.  She fell in love with the child, and forgot all about my caution that it could well take time and patience.  The baby had been bottle fed for 3 months and used a pacifier from birth.  I forgot to ask her re pacifier use - but she stopped it's use a couple of days ago - this may have been the final little nudge that baby needed.

The BIGGEST help - and I know this mother agrees - is the amazing response from this community.  It really got to her on an emotional level that so many people cared enough to respond.  The many tips and personal experience just reinforced what she needed to do - and keep on doing.  Working with the mother's right brain is so important imho.

So thank you for helping me to help this lovely mother.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
Cape Town, South Africa