From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 07:07:50 -0500
I wanted to mention that the reference to breastfeeding in "Impromptu" was
more than casual.  The character played by Bernadette Peters was a countess
who was the mistress of the composer Liszt.  Despite never being married to
him they are portrayed as spending years together and having a number of
children together.  The countess is always pregnant and/or nursing (I know
the feeling) and always has babies and children with her - she is nursing in
the living room, on a picnic etc..  She does begin to get fed up with her
role as baby factory and the atitude of her lover, but the presence of
nursing babies is accepted as normal.  This is an amusing film and I enjoyed
it a lot (by far the best thing Hugh Grant has ever done - he plays Chopin.)

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY