Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:39:22 EST
Dear President Coleman:
    My certification with ICEA is up for renewal at the end of this month.
After long and careful consideration, I am resigning my membership and
certification in ICEA.  I can not endorse nor represent an organization that
betrays its own written position and original mission. I have communicated
with the Board of ICEA  more than once, and have received no assurance or
satisfaction that my concerns have been taken seriously. I do not want to be
associated with an organization that considers the WHO Code of Marketing of
Breastmilk Substitutes to be a form of censorship.
    This is a painful and expensive decision, as it will require considerable
expenditure of time and money to recertify with another organization.
However, I can not, unlike ICEA, straddle both sides of the fence. As an
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, I am committed to
protecting, promoting and support breastfeeding, regardless of the cost.
    ICEA's philosophy, "informed choice through knowledge of alternatives"
will always live in my heart, for which I thank you.
    Sadly yours,

Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CSTP, CIMI
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,  northeastern USA)