From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:06:28 -0400
Hello,

I have been talking with the docs and nurses at our hospital about skin-to-skin
care. They are ready to take the next step and try to make it standard care
for immediately after birth and beyond.  As receptive as they are there is
the , "We can try, but..." comments. For example, they think some of the
assessment they have to do would be difficult on mom's chest, they think mom
would not want to hold baby while being sutured, ect.

They are willing to make it work, it is just getting past all of the "road blocks".
The first thing I plan to do is a presentation on skin-to skin care so they
understand the physiology and how to actually do it.  I am still learning a lot
myself.  I just read most of the new book, "Supporting Sucking Skills" by
Catherine Genna Watson.  It is a wonderful book and has a lot of valuable info
on s-t-s care.

For those of you that have made s-t-s contact standard at your hospital, how
did you overcome some of these issues?  I have read that if baby is separated
for even a few minutes after birth then the whole process is interrupted.  As
we are working on this, if we have to separate mom and baby for a few
minutes or more-with the intention of resuming s-t-s ASAP- would we still see
the benefits?

I am so excited about this opportunity to actually make some changes in favor
of mom and baby for a change!  At the same time I am a little anxious about
how it will play out.  Will the nurses think it is too much trouble and possibly
not see the benefits and drop the whole thing?  If they see what s-t-s can do
then they will be motivated to continue trying-I am praying for this!

Any thoughts and/or words of encouragement are much appreciated.  By the
way, we do about 700 deliveries a year and we have a level 1 nursery, so I am
talking about mostly term babies.  Thanks.

Christine Lichte, IBCLC
Warrensburg, MO