From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:52:57 -0500
Here are a few thoughts on why moms don't take prenatal breastfeeding
classes:

1-She may be attending La Leche meetings and feels she gets enough info
there.

2-Breastfeeding has been touched on at her childbirth classes so she don't
see any need for a full class in addition.

3-"After all, breastfeeding is natural so why do I need a class?  It will
just happen or else I will formula feed."

4-"My mother (sister, aunt, mother-in-law, friend, neighbor etc.) breastfed
and if I have any questions I'll ask her."

5-"I'll try breastfeeding, but it's not something I feel comfortable talking
about with strangers."

6-"My husband (boyfriend) isn't really keen on the idea and I don't want to
stir up a hornet's nest about it.  I'll just do it quietly and use bottles
when he's around.

7-"I am so tired after working all day that it's all I can do to get to the
childbirth classes." (and making it through the birth is her primary worry
at this point)

8-"I read a couple books about breastfeeding, so I don't need a class."

I'm sure there are many others.  The fact that there can be a variety of
reasons means that a multi-pronged approach is needed.  One size doesn't fit
all.

Winnie