From:
"Marimar D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:19:16 -0500
Hi Jeanne,

I would highly recommend that you write Dr. Newman directly (if he doesn't
protocol would work w/o Domperidone.

My understanding of the protocol (which I am following and on my fifth
month) is that w/o the Domperidone to increase the prolactin level the
success for milk production *before* baby is at breast will most likely not
be a possibility.  Once baby is at breast and helping to increase Prolactin
by stimulation to breast she will have a greater chance, however I don't
know how much the bcp alone will help; Dr. Newman?

There is a woman claiming to be the "one" person that Dr. Newman is/was
working with in terms of this protocol.  She has written about her
experience at the following web site...
http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/protocol.htm  Some of the information I
disagree with...mostly the recommendation to use Blistex (before baby is
home and at breast; Purelan/Lansinoh are as readily available and seem a
more prudent suggestion) on cracked nipples, the recommendation "to prepare
your breasts before you even begin to pump, wash them everyday with a
washcloth to toughen your nipples. Try to go without a bra for part of the
day so your clothes can rub against your nipples. This will also help to
toughen them. Continue to wash your breasts everyday. Avoid soap as it has a
tendency to dry out the nipples. Use a 'soap free' skin cleanser like
Cetaphil." (Cetaphil contains alcohol)  She also states that she used a PIS.
  Most of the literature that I have come across recommends, if/when the
prospective adoptive mothers chooses to pump ahead, to use a hospital grade
pump; which the PIS is not.

I would also like to share a bit of my history w/adoptive nursing.  I had a
very positive (though challenging) adoptive nursing relationship w/our
daughter for her first four months.  I only pumped ahead, used herbs and
Domperidone and managed to see (w/pumping) some puddles at the flanges
(nothing that would flow to the collection bottles).  I knew dd must be
getting slightly more than that and I was thrilled!

We are now waiting to be blessed yet again; no baby in sight...thus I am
following Dr. Newman's Protocol.  All this is leading to the awesome
experience that I had while I missed three days of the bcp.  While Dr.
Newman's protocol doesn't call for pumping until *after* one is off the bcp
(but Domperidone is continued) I fell into the habit of pumping once before
bedtime; the "waiting" for baby is extremely difficult and pumping makes me
feel like I am doing something proactive and is extremely relaxing to me.  I
couldn't believe my eyes when all of a sudden here I was dripping into the
collection bottles!!!  I cried.  Wow there was hope!  These results
continued for a few days (at 0.5 oz-1 oz...not a lot for moms w/"home grown"
babies, but let me tell you that is awesome as far as we "adoptive nursing
moms" are concerned!...and from a pump even!!)...btw I m/c many years ago
and am an ovarian cancer sourvivor (11 yrs) (w/radical hysterectomy) and I
did consult w/my Oncologist/OB/Gyn before I began the protocol.  I
understand the amount diminishing is due to the rise in hormones provided by
the bcp.

My story is not the only one.  You would also be interested in reviewing
this thread http://www.fourfriends.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum2/HTML/000069.html

Marimar...adoptive bfeeding mommy and RN extremely grateful to Dr. Newman
who thought about this wonderful protocol!

PS  I considered answering through private e-mail, but though that sharing
my experience would help others.