From:
Ericka Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 14:21:20 -0500
Hi everybody,

I had a call from the husband of a women who had gall bladder surgery.  The
surgery was on Thurs morning.  She was given something called Naprosyn
(muscle relaxant??), was on Demerol and had a general anaesthetic.  She
pumped approximately 5 times for about 20 minutes each time on the day of
the surgery and her baby was fed formula from a bottle.  She nursed her
baby all day Friday and according to her husband everything seemed fine.
 Today (Sat) he says her milk is completely gone.  The evidence of this is
that the baby is fussy and fighting the breast (a bit nipple confused
perhaps), when she tried pumping she was not able to get anything out and
when she gave the baby a bottle he guzzled down 4 ounces.  I feel that this
is likely a case of nipple confusion mixed with some insecurities due to
poor information, exhaustion, stress etc. but I wanted to double check with
all of you.  The only drug she is presently on is Tylenol 2.  Is there
anything with the surgery or the medication she was on at the time of
surgery that would cause an incredible reduction in milk supply?

Thanks

Ericka Hardy
LLL leader in Owen Sound, Ontario