From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:06:24 -0600
Twice in recent months I have worked with moms who had nipple soreness
with every suck despite excellent latch..  In both cases I observed a
sucking rate of about 2 sucks per second (a non-nutritive pattern) over
prolonged periods of time.  The sucking rate did not change despite
strong, persistent sucking.  In both cases, when I put a supplementer on
the mother to improve the flow of milk, the baby changed to a nutritive
sucking pattern AND the mothers' nipples stopped hurting.  Has anyone
else noticed this phenomenon?

These experiences have made me wonder about having moms who are not
getting milk pump at the rapid rate throughout a feeding on the variable
speed pumps.  Could this contribute to nipple soreness?  Perhaps we
should be having the mothers hand express instead of pumping.  I think I
like that idea.  I have seen lots of mothers who can get more milk by
hand expression than by pumping in the first day or two.  I think I'm
going to try it.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA