Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:18:13 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 9:23 PM
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 24 Jul 2003 - Special issue (#2003-986)

Instead of the subject title as mom who failed, maybe we could call them
moms who tried and were unable to breastfeed. The failure may not be the
mother's but rather the health care community who was unable to help correct
whatever problems she had. We don't say that a patient has failed when her
panacreas does not make enough insulin and she goes into a coma. There are
medical reasons ,as we all know ,which can make breastfeeding difficult.
Some of these things can be corrected, some can't. Then there are other
situations that need help to overcome the initial difficulty and the mother
can go on to fully lactate. We have all had clients who work amazingly hard
to bring in a milk supply or get a recluctant baby to latch. These women
should be called heros. However they end up feeding- fully breastfeeding,
partially or not at all, they have tried to meet their baby's needs,
sometimes against some mightly tough odds. It is very important that we
acknowledge their dedication and their motherhood.  Ann Anderson, IBCLC , NJ